Hi Folks!
For two consecutive weekends Fleet Feet has been honored to sponsor amazing local events - The Wharf to Wharf race and the Sandman Triathlon. Of course there are countless equally-amazing events in the area to satisfy all our active needs, but these two races happening back to back infused me with thoughts about why Fleet Feet exists in the first place.
Sure, you need shoes and the typical gear. You also need a place to get advice on where to run and maybe even common injuries or training strategies. But ultimately Fleet Feet doesn't need to exist for you to get this stuff.
When I came to Aptos I knew exactly what I wanted. My goal was to make Fleet Feet an extension of my living room. I wanted you to feel like you were walking into my home when you passed through the doors. Shoot, if I could have a couch and fireplace in the middle of the store I'd do it! Yes, of course we wanted to fulfill your active needs, but more importantly we wanted to build relationships and celebrate your accomplishments. Life's too short to miss out on these opportunities. Gear wears out. Friendships last forever.
Race sponsorship makes for a very long day. Usually the booth is set up hours before the participants arrive and stays up after the final participant leaves. But working a vendor booth is a rush! It gives me an opportunity to cheer on customers while meeting some new folks too.
Events encapsulate all that drove me to make a career out of this business in the first place. The positive energy is palatable, athletes revel in their achievements, and people share a passion to complete the task at hand. Watching this happen gives me chills. The unspoken bond still exists long after the event as two folks pass each other in the grocery store, both wearing the finisher's t-shirt. It's kind of like a secret handshake. Both think, "they did it too..." One word sums up what's at play here - community. It should happen more often.
Hope to see you in the living room soon.
Thanks for being part of our Fleet Feet community. We appreciate you.
To Your Health!
tom
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment